Skip to main content

Dave Ramsey would be proud

So I organized my envelope system a little before our trip to Colorado and thought I would share (in case there are any other Dave Ramsey fans out there would would like to give this one a try). We had started using envelopes and cash awhile back for 5 of our budget categories and I was having a hard time at the check out. Imagine separating out gifts, clothes, diapers, food, and toiletries at the Walmart checkout with four busy children asking for gum over and over, then dipping into 5 different envelopes to pay for it all! I had tried paying separately for awhile and watching the person behind me roll her eyes when I say, I have 4 or 5 separate transactions. I also tried shuffling money from one envelope to the other trying to pay for it all at one time and still manage to get the correct change in each envelope - didn't work so well either. So here is the solution (and great chew toy for Jonathan while I am checking out!) A file folder thing from Walmart with the 5 categories listed inside. I also was able to add files for gift cards, coupons, receipts, and Craigslist money. It is so handy to flip through at the store and a much easier way to organize at the checkout. I just love it! I have also started getting smaller bills in each category so it is easier to move money from one to the other and pay all at once. I think John was a little impressed with my creativity and I bet Dave Ramsey would be too!

Comments

Lori said…
Yowser! I'm completely impressed!