Skip to main content

Routines and Schedules

I just got back from walking Caleb to the corner for the bus. When I got back, the other 3 were eating french toast sticks under warm blankets and watching PBS. I was just thinking about routines when I walked in and saw them in theirs. They're all in their favorite pjs, eating their favorite hot breakfast, waking up before they head down to hours of their mother's instruction and help with Thursday homework. It's a little humorous to walk to the bus stop each Thursday (or each time I go for that matter). Right when we walk out the door, the neighbor across the street is putting his trash on the curb (right about 7:58). Once we get two houses down, the garage door opens and the same black car that pulls out every Thurs begins to back out. When we make it to the corner house, our friendly neighbor that walks his 2 little dogs waves hi and the dogs bark back at Caleb who waves to the them. This all happens almost on the dot each time. Then we head over to our usual spot and wait for James and Jenna to walk over from across the street, 2 of Caleb's new Kindergarten friends from school. Sunny and I talk about our morning or evening and then the kids line up and get on. We kiss them and wave goodbye and head back to our next routine. While I am walking back, I hear the recycling truck approach (about the same time every Thurs morning) and wave to my neighbor across the street who is walking back from her corner bus stop (we are both in the middle of the block and go to opposite corners). As I head in and say good morning to Ashlyn, Josh, and Jonathan, I realize I need to pick up the kitchen mess from lunch preparation and breakfast (I do this every morning). Then I think about dinner plans and get ready to head down to the school room. We will not do the same subjects in the same order that we did last Thurs, but we will have an estimated time we hope to finish by and a small structure of time splitting between the 3 children. I am not one who loves routine, but realize this morning, I definitely have one and boy is it comforting to see all of them around me each morning. Although not every day is organized and "on time" with the normal routine of our neighborhood, it is comforting to know that God is sovereign over all that is happening with our crew. And if we don't make it to the bus on time tomorrow or the kids don't make their school carpool with all their homework completed, I know that there was a reason and that God knows the outcome of it all. Now off to my morning conversation with my best friend, which I look forward to each day, before disturbing the other 3 bums...

Comments