Skip to main content

Things I take for granted in the US

  • Electricity (we have lost power multiple times while here, even during church service)
  • Traffic Lights (they have some, but they lose power alot)
  • Turn signals on cars (they don't really use them ever - just come over right in front of you)
  • Purified Water (we got a gallon when we arrived and fill it up each day at the school where they have built a purification system for their building. They sell jugs of it to the community for 1/4 of the price as the market
  • The ability to flush toliet paper (we throw the used tp in the trash can next to the toliet here at the school)
  • a yard (kids here just play in the street all day)
  • diapers (have seen a few children walking around without them
  • bath tubs and showers (Herrera kids take baths in a large bucket in the front of their house)
  • trash service (there are piles and piles of trash everywhere because they have no place to put it
  • Clean rivers (the river through town is filled with sewage and waste from the village - the smell obivously goes with that river)
  • strong roofs (they are made of tin here and some of them have upgraded to cement. They keep building houses on top of the current ones.
  • A washer and dryer (as much as I hate laundry, I do not have to hand wash my clothes in water I had to pay for and then hang them all over my street)
  • Insurance (especially car insurance because the traffic here is impossible to understand until you see it - it is CRAZY!)

I am sure I am missing alot more things, but these are a few that come to mind. I know many of the people here know no difference. They would be amazed at what I have back at Kansas City. I thank God for the opportunity he has given me. I pray that this trip will make me more humble and grateful for what He has given me. I want to complain less and be much more appreciative of even the small details in my life. Please join me in praying for other third countries around the world. Not just for their poverty, but also for their hearts and their knoweldge of the Gospel and God. We are passing out booklets that talk about their hearts and their sin compared to their teeth and cavitities. We are not just here to help their physical needs, but also their spiritual needs. I pray that I am able to do this many more times around the world. Thank you Lord for this opportunity!

Comments

I have decided to not use my blinker on purpose anymore. When I do, it just lets the person in the lane I want to cross over in know I want to come over and it gives him time to speed up...therefore, no more blinkers for me either!

Oh and to add a few more things to your list that I take for granted in the states:
dish washers, garbage disposals, and vacuums...oh how I miss you dish washer!