Skip to main content

Day one at Dental Office

So today was our first day at the school doing dentist work. It is a holiday for Herrera, which means not a school day for the community. So Vision Trust told the other villages to bring their children today to see us. We also are seeing the older children that go here with major dental pain or problems. It has been interesting so far. The language barrier is really hard. I have a great opportunity while they are waiting for the hygentist to talk to the children. They say alot really fast and I don't have a translator in that area. So I tell them my name and ask theirs. Then I have been taking their picture and showing it to them. They love that. They ask for more photos and are sillier the second time. I do that in between sterilizing all of the trays and tools for the 3 hygentists. I also run charts back and forth between the dentists and the charting room. I am working side by side with Ashley from my church and have enjoyed visiting with her too. We get an hour lunch here through Friday where we can come email and check the internet. That is when I will update everyone. At the hotel, it is $3 for 15 minutes (which is what I have done so far). I am hoping to just do that here at the school now.

The church service last night was interesting and different. The worship was amazing and I recognized 2 songs (Yes, Lord and Hol, Holy, Holy). The entire service is in Spanish. They had a visiting pastor who was very different from what they usually have. He reminded me of those crazy preachers on tv that yell and shout (only in Spanish). A lady fell down on the floor and people were chanting something at her. The kids just wander around the room during the service. The whole thing lasted 2 1/2 hours....we left feeling like we left a concert. It was really loud. But very memorable.

I will write more tomorrow. Thanks for all the nice emails. It has been so wonderful so far! Please continue to pray for me and our team. We are passing out tracks about cavities being similar to sin in our lives - most of the kids were are seeing are exposed to the gospel here at the school too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so proud of you to want to try such a different event that helps poor people of the world...I am so proud... enjoy yourself and you will remember this forever...