Skip to main content

Trundle, single or bunk

So it looks like Jonathan might be going into a bigger bed at the first of the year and we are trying to decide what bed he should go into. We have Caleb's old toddler bed that he could go into without any extra cost, but it's kinda ugly (the 1st option.) We also have a twin bed frame and headboard that matches his dresser and changing table we could use and purchase a new mattress set. We could upgrade his bed to a twin size and keep him in his room alone for a little while longer as the 2nd option.

I have been researching trundle beds and have thought about doing that instead of the current twin bed frame I have, but I am not sure. When he goes into a twin bed, we have thought about putting the older boys bunk bed back together for Caleb and Jonathan and then giving Joshua the single twin bed in one room together. I am wondering if the new single twin bed was a trundle bed, Jonathan could continue to have his own room for awhile with the option that the other 2 boys could have a sleep over sometimes upstairs on the trundle part. We could later give Joshua that trundle bed (for sleep overs) when he gets old enough to have his own room and the two younger boys start to share one with the bunk beds (our 3rd option).

The 4th option is to do a trundle under the bunk bed we have and have all 3 boys share one room again - pushing the trundle under the bed each morning - and its cheaper to only buy the trundle part without the twin frame. I like the idea of having them all on the same floor again now that Jonathan's nap schedule has changed from before and the idea of having a playroom downstairs again...but I am just not sure. And I can hear John already talking to me about contentment and his back pains after moving the beds back upstairs...hmm, maybe that one isn't really an option?

We'll keep you posted on which way we go. Just wanted to let you all know what is going through my mind today as I browse craigslist for a great deal on trundle frames...I hope I didn't lose you while I was thinking through it all again!

Comments

A said…
I got lost at first but now i get it! but i do get lost easily. i think the toddler for now since you already have it then move him to a trundle under the bunks. just my opinion though. :-) i think any of them would be good!!!
Nancy Mosley said…
We have our older 2 boys in a bunk bed and Joel in his own twin bed and they are all in one room. But when Joel was Jonathon's age - he was in a toddler bed. Anyway, we did have Joel in his own room (until this week) but daddy had to retake it over for his new office. So now they are all back together. If I had my choice, Joel would still be in his own room and then every year - they'd all switch beds and someone would get the room all to themselves. We learned this from some friends of ours and I think it is a great idea. This way they not only rotate to have their own room but someone also gets to be on top bunk too. Hope that makes sense. Have fun sorting it out. :-)