Skip to main content

John's eventful week so far...

So Monday night while I was at my Ladies Bible study Christmas party, I got an interesting phone call from John. "Hun, I almost burned down the house!" Of course I asked how and if he was serious. He was. Apparently he noticed one of his favorite pans had some icky stuff on the bottom and he decided to boil some water in it to get it super clean. Well, I should say he started to boil the water and then went downstairs with the kids to play N64. Caleb came down after a while and said the water was boiling. He just said, "yes, hunny I know. We are cleaning the pan." A while longer, Caleb said, "now the water is smoking bad!" By the time John got upstairs, the house was full of smoke and the pan was black. He mistakenly, put the hot pan under some cold water in the sink and more black smoke filled the air fast. He opened every window in the house, including the garage door and had all the kids go into our room with him for the rest of the night. When I got home really late, the house really smelled like a fire had occurred. Today was the first day it didn't smell too bad...it was a great time for him to teach the kids about fire safety and an excellent reminder for them of how quickly these things on earth can just vanish! We were a little worried that the smoke alarm never did go off and it is in good working order?

So today his week got a little more eventful on his way home from work/school with Ashlyn. While he was crossing an intersection here in Kearney with a green light, a young 16 year old driver hit him coming through the same intersection the opposite way. Her light was green also, but she was supposed to yield to John as he went across before she turned left. Instead, she turned left into John's minivan. It was a pretty hard hit and her car had to be towed. This was Ashlyn's first car accident and john is pretty sore. I was pretty shaken up when he called me after it happened and didn't say anything. All I could hear was a police officer asking him if he was alright and if the other passenger (Ashlyn) had any major injuries. It was later, he could say hi, we have been in an accident and everyone is fine! A very scary 2 minutes of course. So now he will have to work on getting his car fixed (it is drivable but will need some front end work) and has a court date for the accident in Feb. What a crazy day again! We'll keep you posted on the rest of the week and what other interesting events unfold...

Comments

Jennie Caudle said…
Oh Deanna!! I will be saying some prayers for you all to have a calmer life! How scarey!! I'm glad everyone is okay! Take care.
Jamie said…
Both those events are really scary! But I'm so glad everyone is okay. And I'd get your fire alarms checked out - maybe I should check my own too while I'm thinking about it! I got into an accident last week when the roads were icy (it was the other guys' fault - he hit me). It wasn't a bad hit but cost quite a bit to fix the van. I'm glad it was his insurance paying for it!

Hopefully this next week will go smoother for you all!