Skip to main content

Down to 1 again...

Okay, so many of you are mommy's out there. When we first became mom's we had to learn to balance a home, being a wife, and now a baby. It was hard at times, but we adjusted and if you were like me spent most of your waking (if not sleeping too) hours with your baby. Playing, learning, and shopping were favorites for Ashlyn and I. It was pretty hard to imagine life with another child then and how scary it seemed to go from 1 dependent to 2.

So then it happens - for those who had a big gap in between the first two like me, you're so excited to finally have a playmate for that first one. Someone who can take your place half of the time so you can get some things done. Then comes fun things to adjust to like sharing toys, time, and your love between 2 little ones - what a joy that time was and how memorable those times were in my life :)

Then came 3 for us, which truly is I believe the hardest transition. I am not sure if it is really what they say - more children than hands - but it did take me a little longer to get things in order (and yes, Caleb was our most challenging child anyway from the start). The gap was smaller for us between Josh and Caleb, but we also had a huge helper by that point. By the time he was 1, we had finally proudly got a routine going around the house and I felt like I was able to be out and about more and not feel too stressed. We got to see how fun relationships could be between siblings by then and how neat it was to see how different our children are.

Then came 4, and life stays busy (we no longer really have a routine). There are many days that I am very lucky to just get everyone dressed, fed, bathed, and read to. It is especially hard to have one on one time with my children now and is such a blessing when it does happen. But we are very content and happy with our normal daily routine so far...so that brings me to this week. My first week with only one at home all morning!!! The older 3 kids are going to a VBS at Joshua's preschool this week and from 9 till noon, I only have 1 again!!! Man, did I forget how great this is! Today was our first day, and we unpacked, cleaned, did laundry, read, played, and I still had time to shower. I already have my plan for tomorrow and can't believe what a vacation this is for me :) The best part is that they loved it! All 3 couldn't stop talking about their day when I picked them up and are excited to go back tomorrow. I think this is a glance of what life would be like when they are all in school someday. We are sending our kids to a private school at our church that only goes 3 days a week from K through 12th grade so I will never no what a full week is like alone (well, maybe in 20 years!) Jonathan sure had fun too and wasn't sure about them all coming home. I could see how much he is like Ashlyn at this age and he is so smart!

So even though we are all in much different stages in our lives, some wanting more children, others wanting to wait for more, and some like me who are done, it is neat to see how in each stage God can bless you. Have a great rest of the week!

Comments

Jamie said…
Yes, life sure does change with the addition (and subtraction-when at school) of each child. For me, going from one to two was harder than two to three. But we space our kids 3 years apart, so by time Aaron came around, Leevi was 6 and was independent and a great help.

I still don't have a set routine, though I'd like to. I'm bad about that. Next year, Raquel will probably be in half day preschool 5 days a week, so it will just be Aaron and me for a few hours each morning. It will surely be different to just have one little guy around. I am looking forward to it!
Anonymous said…
how fun! i missed you Sunday but so glad that you made it back safely!!!