Skip to main content

The Lion and the Cage

Today Caleb and I got to go to lunch with our favorite speech therapist. We got to catch up and talk about Caleb's speech problems we have encountered this past year. It was very helpful and great to see her.

While we were talking about speech, I shared with her about Jonathan's lisp problem that he now has. She told me that with her younger clients she explains that the tongue is like a lion and their teeth are like a cage. When they practice words (especially those with "s" sounds) they need to keep the cage closed so the lion doesn't get out. It sounds simple and a great kid-friendly thing to do so I told John when I picked up the other kids after the lunch. When we were getting ready to leave work, I over heard John talking with Jonathan about the lion and cage idea.

John really was excited about the whole thing and I think he thought he was really making progress at first. Jonathan practiced 3 or 4 works with him and I heard John say "oh, no the lion got out! Try again with him in the cage!" This went on for about 5 minutes and I heard Jonathan say something very loudly. "Daddy, this is my mouth!! This is my tongue and these are my tooths!" I couldn't help but giggle some. John said it all again and again, Jonathan said, "No daddy. It's my mouth and not a lion!" John stopped working on it then. I can't help but say Jonathan is much more like his mother than the others. And so persistent! We'll give it another try this weekend along with the peanut butter on the roof of his mouth, Mrs Catherine!

Comments

Catherine said…
Aren't kids great!? I love it! Guess we'll have to come up with a new idea for little mister smarty-pants Jonathan! :) I got your email & will be in touch but I definately think we could make something work! I'm really looking forward to it too! ;) Talk to you soon. "Mrs. Catherine"