Skip to main content

Discipline is Hard

It's early. And I am up, sweaty, and already for a nice cold shower. Today is my speed walking day with a good neighbor friend. We walk on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and it is amazing how fast I am seeing improvement on my fat content! When we first started, it really got me excited to get in shape on a regular basis. Which means, running on my treadmill again on MWF or even working on my Wii Fit again for a couple days a week. I have great intentions. But it is hard. Discipline I mean. Not the kind where my disobedient child and I have to have a heart to heart in my bedroom (although the consistency of that is hard too), but the kind of discipline to get into a scheduled routine of something new. I have some great goals I would like to achieve by Dec. Not unrealistic goals, because I have done these same things pre-children days and not had any problems doing them. So why is it so hard?

I have struggled with this from about the birth of Caleb. I am not sure if this happens with all third borns or at the prime age of 27 when I had him, but I can see a pattern that developed around that time. I had a hard time scheduling school time with Ashlyn, laundry organization, and meal planning. I just always seemed to be unaware that we had no clothes, dinner, or book time until it was too late. I have read books to help with this...great blogs and asked some pretty smart homemakers. But I still struggle. I have a friend who is working out regularly and is seeing amazing results and even her positive attitude has not got me on the actual treadmill yet. So I am counting on this blog once again. When I got behind taking pictures of my kids or making keepsakes of cute things they said or did, this blog helped. It helped me to stay accountable to my out of town family and friends wanting to stay in touch with our crazy crew. And most importantly, it helped me to create memory books to show our kids when they are older.

So I am going to begin to journal some about my exercise goals. Not everyday and probably not too detailed, but enough to keep you posted and stay accountable. If I begin to not mention it here and there, please leave me a comment reminding me. If all goes well, I might need to start a meal planning update too :) That hasn't improved much since 27 either!

Comments