Skip to main content

Still on cloud 9

Sorry for the lack of blog posts this week...we are still adjusting to being back home. It's funny how I forgot how little time I have here and how little I see get accomplished each day. We are so glad to be back to what seems like a "normal" schedule now, but still want to be lazy. It might be that the Olympics have had our nightly attention and that's when I can "catch up" a bit. Haven't the games been amazing! We enjoyed them in Hawaii as well as here. I really do miss being an athlete and being in shape (like the old days)...maybe Wii Fit can push me over the edge and actually get me some muscle back!

We are in the planning stages for next fall this week to. Trying to decide if we should send Caleb to our private school for K or the public school by our house that would help with his speech. In the process of that decision, I have started schooling him a bit and have enjoyed that time too. He is really smart! It's so hard when he knows a letter and says it's name, but I think he's saying something else. For example, he kept saying "b" for a lower case "t" or at least I thought, and he really was saying "t" the whole time. We both were frustrated. I know this will really affect his phonetics and reading ability in K and that is what our school focuses on. We'll let you know our final decision after we meet with a speech pathologist at Line Creek near our house. For now, we have a spot for him at FCA. There are so many benefit of both - although we are thinking the public K has more for Caleb. If he goes there next year, we will be faced with a similar decision the next year - whether he then goes to FCA into 1st grade or K depending on how his speech/reading has improved. While deciding this, we know Joshua will go into 1st and Ashlyn into 4th, which I think will be two difficult years and a little more homeschooling than this year. Jonathan gets to hang out with me for the whole year before going to preschool the next. He has been attending Sunday School with Caleb at church and is so outgoing and smart. I think he will be such a great learner when it is time for preschool. In the meantime, we are getting ready to start potty training ....something I keep putting off for different reasons each month. I can't think of too many now, so it's time to give it a shot.

I've started working on our Hawaii slideshow....there are so many pictures. I still have to get our waterproof camera developed, but hope to do that tomorrow. I'll post that this week when it is all done...

Comments

Jamie said…
What a beautiful picture! I just made some phone calls last week about getting Aaron evaluated for speech therapy, too. I completely sympathize with the frustration of not understanding your own child! Aaron just keeps repeating the same thing over and over and I feel so bad that I have NO idea what he's saying! I'm sure you'll find what works best for Caleb and your family. I have been putting off potty training, too. I'm dreading it. I know he's ready, but I'm not! It's a lot of work, but I know I just just do it and get it over with! Good luck!
Catherine said…
Hi Deanna - Thanks for the update on Caleb. I know things will fall into place for you & you will make the right decision for him. As always listen for guidance. I sure miss him!! Catherine
PS - You might tell your friend who commented here about Clay County Health Center Speech program if she lives in Clay Co. - we'd love to help! :)
Hanson Crew said…
Thanks Catherine - it's such a hard decision. My friend Jamie lives in Omaha, NE - I would have definately referred her if she lived here - we miss you all very much!