Skip to main content

Reflections of 2009

So we survived our first day back from break. Ashlyn had a really hard time falling asleep last night, but she woke up, got ready and enjoyed her first day back. Joshua slept the night away, got ready and forgot his lunch, but still enjoyed his day back with his friends. Caleb fought the idea of going back to preschool, but was bribed with a new winter hat and glove set (clearance deal at target the other day I found) and rode happily to school in the freezing cold. The temperatures here are freezing, or maybe I should say way under freezing - negative 15 I think. And the prospect of tomorrow and the rest of the week for that matter isn't promising. More snow and more freezing temperatures. We are sure loving our fireplace more :0)

I have had the opportunity to read numerous blog posts, facebook posts, and website remarks on New Year's resolutions. As usual, both John and I pray to lose more weight and get more in shape this year - especially with a short term goal in sight - Hawaii in mid-Feb. We are attempting this by giving of soda pop, working out, and eating less (probably some starvation too if I still can't fit in a particular dress I am going to take with us). This year I vowed to stay off the computer more because I have found the time I spend on it doesn't ever reflect anything good. But other than those few "resolutions" we look toward 2010 with excitement and joy. What will the Lord bring to our family? What will he take away? What will the theme of the year be? I believe 2009 was change. My prediction is love for 2010....I love my husband so much, my children, being a homemaker, being a friend, and a sister in Christ with so many. I have been so encouraged this past week from other women discussing what I believe is my purpose not only in 2010, but every year since 2000. Carolyn Mahaney wrote an article, Homemaking Internship, that is really worth sharing with fellow mothers and women in love with God and serving him in our homes. It isn't very long and well worth the read. Here is a small glimpse:

"But the truth is that homemaking involves so much more than just cleaning a house. The commands in Scripture to love, follow, and help a husband; to raise children for the glory of God; and to manage a home encompass a vast responsibility. Homemaking requires an extremely diverse array of skills—everything from management abilities, to knowledge of health and nutrition, to interior decorating capabilities, to childhood development expertise. If you are to become an effective homemaker, then you must study these subjects and many more."

We closed 2009 with great friends and in an awesome house that I still can't believe we have been given. Whether we are potty training, shoveling 4 feet of snow, or building orphanages in the Dominican Republic this year, our prayer is to do it all for the Glory of God. I look forward to our experiences in 2010 with old and new friends and will continue to update you all on our crew...

You crown the year with Your good blessings, and You leave abundance in Your wake.
~Psalm 65:11

Comments

Nate said…
Well said! Deanna Hanson
Love, Lisa
Hanson Crew said…
Thanks Lisa! I'm so happy you left a comment :)
A said…
awesome deanna - i am so going to read that article too. what an encouraging post! thank you!
Jennie Caudle said…
Love this post!! And, you do a great job being a homemaker. Hope 2010 is full of joy for you and your family. God Bless.