Skip to main content

Those Precious Moments

Does anyone else have a hard time remembering their life before 5? I know I sure do and it drives my mother crazy. She'll bring up a time or memory she loved when I was really young and expect me to remember the whole thing. But I don't. It doesn't bother me at all until I stop and realize that my children are going to be the same way! I spend every day (mainly every minute) with them and enjoy so many things they say and do. In ten years, they might not remember any of it. It's already noticible in Ashlyn when we talk about stuff in her scrapbook like our old house in Liberty or something she said and she really doesn't know what I am talking about. So all this sad talk makes me excited to share a moment Joshua and I enjoyed together last night that I think he will actually remember!

After Ashlyn and I started our Girls Night Out dates, I felt like she was different with me. She would talk to me a little more openly about things we normally wouldn't talk about before we "hung out" with no one around. So I thought I would give it a shot with Joshua too (we will try this more with Caleb probably soon too). Last night was our first "date" and I kept it a surprise. John works late so I took the other 3 to his office around 6 after I sold some more baby stuff on craigslist :) When we left there I told him we were going to go somewhere he has been wanting to go. Then we had the best conversation ever about spending time together and what things we might possibly be going to do. We went to the dollar movie theatre to see a movie he has been wanting to see for a long time (yes, the same one I took Ashlyn too a couple months ago). When we got there, he said "Is this a restaraunt?" I said, I am not sure, lets go in and see. He was soooo excited! I have never seen his eyes look around so quickly and just look so happy. When I asked the ticket guy for 2 tickets to see Enchanted - he lit up! I mean literally. He held his hands close to his face smiling in awe. Then we got the popcorn and pop of his choice - without having to share it with anyone (but he did with me). This was pure excitement for him. When we walked into the theatre you would have thought he was entering heaven's gate. He was so happy! He had never been to the movies before and this was quite the adventure. We talked to John on the phone all about the scenery - the rectangle tv, the loud music, and the huge curtains! What an amazing thing to see through the eyes of a 4 year old. I thought it kinda looked grungy compared to the big stadium seating one we normally go to for $8. Of course, the night continued with big boy talk and laughter throughout the entire movie - he loved it! I think we will buy this one when it comes out - it is an excellent movie!

So in the end, I think we are left with a movie ticket sovenior and a memory engraved in his little heart forever! I am really excited to talk about it with him and blessed to have shared it with him. The 4 oldest kids here are already talking about going to Prince Caspian together, while the 2 little boys stay at Grandmas house...

Comments

Jamie said…
What fun! One of the best things about being a parent is seeing your kids really happy. And although going to the movie theater was such a treat for him, I'm sure the memories for you both will be the special time you were able to spend together. I wish I was better at journal writing so I could remember these moments forever!
Anonymous said…
wow how special. that brought tears to my eyes. precious!
Unknown said…
Very Sweet!!! I don't remember a lot of detail, but I do have some of a couple times like that with each of my parents!
Anonymous said…
What a great description of your special evening. Sounds like you had the sweetest date in the whole theater. :o)