Skip to main content

Nickname Possibilities

When we named our youngest we had nicknames in mind. We really knew which names we did not want our son to be called that is. We loved Jonathan James together, but didn't like the nickname JJ. So we threw our favorite name out and went with Jonathan Luke knowing that very few would ever call him JL. John really is against calling him John or John Jr or John 2 - we knew that from the start too and are still hoping his friends will rule those out when he is older. Well, recently we have noticed that each of us in the house have began calling him something different. Without telling you who calls him which one, here they are in no particular order:

1. Johnny
2. Baby
3. J
4. Tobey
5. Jonathan (no nickname)

Which one do you prefer? I think consistency is important here to help him with confusion and because he is being called so many things each day. Feel free to comment and let us know your vote. If you have a better idea to throw in the mix, feel free too!

Comments

A said…
I like Jonathan OR just J. Where did Tobey come from? Is there a good story with that one...cause if there is a good story then that could be a contender. :)
Jamie said…
Tobey? Where'd that one come from?! I like Johnny or J. Or just Jonathan. So really, I'm no help. :)

When we named our kids, we picked names that couldn't really be shortened into nicknames. But...Leevi was named after Frank's grandpa who went by 'Lee'. I hated that name. I loved the name Leevi, but vowed we'd never shorten it to Lee. Well, Leevi decided at the beginning of this school year that he wanted to start going by Lee. Ugh! We still call him Leevi, of course, but his teacher calls him Lee and he signs his name Lee on homework and stuff. I hope it's just a phase. I still don't like the name and cringe every time I see his schoolwork!

So hopefully the name you decided to call Jonathan will be one you all like!
Anonymous said…
I bet I know who calls him "baby" - :) Miss Catherine
Jonathan-I don't much care for nicknames, plus Jonathan is such an adorable name anyway.
Anonymous said…
Where did Tobey come from and how did it start??? I kind of like it though...I would say J....Phil
Anonymous said…
Well, we had a little dog that Steven named Tobey, so I don't think too much of that name for a little boy. What's wrong with Jonathan? After all, wasn't Jonathan King Davids faithful friend?

Aunt Linda
Hanson Crew said…
Hey Linda! yeah, I prefer Jonathan with no nickname at all - it's your silly nephew who wants to call him Tobey. I'll pass on your comment! Glad to see you're still checking this blog :)