Skip to main content

Caleb's 1st Communion Service

So Ashlyn and Joshua were a little older when they started attending worship service with us on Wed night. Caleb has started pretty frequently lately and last night was his first experience of a communion service (he still goes to nursery sometimes on Sunday mornings though). We have already explained to Joshua and Ashlyn why we take communion and why they are not yet able to participate. They both do a pretty good job during this service now. We had not yet talked with Caleb before last night - who is not quite 3 yet.

As soon as the bread was passed out, he says "me, me". I whispered "No Caleb, I will explain later why you cannot have this yet." He began to stare at the cracker and smile, licking his lips (note to self - feed my children more before Wed night services with communion). Have I not mentioned how animated this child is...it was like torturing him with candy or something. Then he became a little worried about John and pointed to him repeating "daddy" a couple times (he helps with communion services). As soon as the cup was passed out, he yells, "tea, more!" I said "No this is juice, but represents blood and you cannot have it now, please sit quiet." He continued to babble, "Juice! juice!" He finally stopped when it was over and John came and sat where he was sitting. He immediately climbed on the floor and started to try to get a little drip out of the cup under the chair in front of me (I was praying now and not paying any attention of course). He told me later, "no" and pointed to the cup, which I think was referring to not blood?? or maybe he knew he was not supposed to get any at all. Obviously, John will be talking a little more about communion to the kids before bedtime tonight. It is sure getting a little more difficult to concentrate during worship services these days.

Comments

Anonymous said…
oh yes. the first time josie paid attention to communtion she just about had a tantrum because she wanted my juice. she now will just watch very closely all we are doing. she still wants the bread so we have to hide that when we get it. it is VERY hard to concentrate in church these days for us too. half the time, i'm in the hallway.