Skip to main content

Seeing Mrs. Michelle again

I love our private school we have used the past 7 years.  I love the schedule the most.  My kids go for 3 days a week and I enjoy them for 4.  I love that for the most part, the assignments I help teach them on Tues and Thurs are spelled out for me.  And I love how their teachers are so involved in what I need help with.  It is an overall wonderful, biblical education taught from a classical approach which we love too.

But I have to say that I also love home schooling!  And I love planning out our day and using everyday experiences as a "lesson" along side our normal FCA curriculum core subjects.  I especially love our one on one time Ashlyn and I have had the past 2 months.  What a difference going form 4 busy children to one most of my day is.  I love it! I can speed through the subjects that she is excelling at and slow down on the ones that are harder.  We can learn to sew, cook, and work on our social skills together.  I can't wait for winter so we can stay in our pjs by the fire as we learn!

But I have to admit, I have equally enjoyed our public school experience this year.  Jonathan is growing up before my eyes and maturing so much because of our school.  I hate not seeing him as often as I do my other children, but I am amazed at how much he has learned academically, socially, and even spiritually this year.  And I am most excited about our call we received today from Mrs. Michelle.  She was one of our favorite speech therapists that Caleb has had (she was single before and went by Miss Michelle), but is now married and going by Mrs. Brown.  She is going to start working with Jonathan on his speech for an hour a week.  We love that!  No horrible bills, no sitting in Dr. offices, and only missing classroom time that is Mrs. Reddekopp feels is appropriate for Jonathan.  The best part - no forms to fill out like we did for Caleb (an IEP).  His speech problems are only minor, which NKC would not even think about helping with.  But Park Hill does and I can't wait to see how much he improves in this area too!

Caleb's speech is rapidly getting worse since school started.  His teacher has recommended we begin speech therapy again.  Unfortunately, our private school doesn't have a resource for us to use like Park Hill.  And NKC said last year that his speech was not bad enough to receive services at the end of the school year (Our private school is in NKC school district and not Park Hill where we live so we have to use that district instead and the resources for speech is very thin).  So we are starting another evaluation next week with them again.  I am not certain how long the process will take or if they will say he is going to receive another IEP with them, but if not, we might begin therapy through a hospital again.  His reading and comprehension is severely affected by his speech now, which is the main reason for concern.  I believe that if he is verbal apraxic (which some therapists have diagnosed him with), that explains the decline without therapy and the struggle in reading and comprehension. He may need speech therapy all through elementary school.  I will keep you all posted on what we find out...

Comments