Skip to main content

Flu mist vs. flu shot

This past week, I finally made the change from pediatrician to family doctor for 2 of our kids. We hope to move the other two over this Dec when they are due for their next well visit. I am so excited to have one doctor for all of the kids and me. John will eventually move over to this same practice, which happens to be 3 minutes from our house and right next door to a hospital! It's wonderful.

Anyway, with the switch, both Ashlyn and Joshua got a well visit along with the flu shot. We typically get the flu mist, which has been so nice according to all the kids so far. This family practice office only offers the shot. We didn't know that until we were ready to go back to see the doctor. I had to drag Joshua from the waiting room to the scale. Then the whole visit, was torture for him. After Ashlyn got hers, we began to coach Joshua through it. I thought he was one all over again! Man, it was horrible. He basically said he refused to get it and tried to leave the room. I had to ask all the other kids to leave the room so he could get it...poor guy. He says he would rather have the flu next year so we'll see what we decide then. The doctor tried to explain to him that the mist is the actual virus where the shot was not and that he would be more protected this year. I don't think it mattered. Both of the little boys got the mist a few weeks ago and were so excited to have to skip it here this year. I don't think Joshua will ever forget this office now or the experience he had....I told him that I don't remember any of the shots I got when I was his age to see if that helped him at all and I don't think it did. I know I am comforted knowing we might all have a bunch of colds all season, and not the flu!

Comments