Skip to main content

Just one of the guys

Last year was our first annual boys and girls trips. John hopes to take the boys on a canoe trip every summer while Ashlyn and I get away for the 3 days they are gone to enjoy some part of the US. Well this summer, Uncle Chris was planning to go with John, Josh and Caleb on the boys trip. They changed the dates a few times and finally schedule it for tomorrow (the 5th) through the 8th. Ashlyn and I invited Rylee and Aunt Carol to visit Mall of America for 3 days. We are planning on going to the theme park there, shopping, and visiting IKEA. Because Jonathan wasn't included on either trip, we planned our girls trip for a different weekend than the boys trip. That way while we are gone, the boys could all camp out in the backyard or the lake so Jonathan had a mini-boys trip.

Well, Uncle Chris went to CO this past week unexpectedly and John tried multiple people to fill in for him. Most people work Wed-Friday and it was hard to find another guy who could take off work that quickly. Because we could not cancel or reschedule the trip (we'd lose money), we decided to keep the trip and find someone close to a guy. Well, lucky me, I am that guy. Ashlyn is staying with Grandma Sue until Friday night and all 4 boys are going on the canoe trip. Oh, and I am a chaperon. Joshua says canoeing a boat is really easy and all I really need is a good pocket knife for the trip. I am a little nervous about not having a bathroom, shower, not much luggage and the rain forecast, but willing to give it a try. John did say that we would skip our workout today so I can be strong for the trip, which also makes me a little nervous. We basically drive 5 hours, load our stuff on a bus, get dropped off at the top of the river, load our 2 canoes, paddle and find a place along the river to camp. The next day, we canoe all day down the river (maybe in the rain) and camp again. Then we make it to the spot where the bus will pick us back up and take us back to the car. I'll let ya know if that is how it really all works when we get back. Joshua and I will man one canoe while John and the younger two help in his. The bonus part of me tagging along - Jonathan can go this time and we will get lots of pictures!!! See ya on Saturday...oh, and pray we all make it back on Sat.

Comments

Catherine said…
Glad it's you & not me!! :) Good luck! Catherine