Skip to main content

Fish (oil) anyone?

This week at Caleb's preschool a few moms were talking about their children with speech disorders. It was amazing to see how many other kids at this preschool or siblings have some kind of disorder. Two of them were even diagnosed with verbal Apraxia, which is what Caleb was originally diagnosed with. So after talking with them for awhile about therapies, First Steps, and other methods of treatment, I was so excited to give something new a try! Both moms said their pediatrician told them to give their Apraxic child fish oil each day to help that area of the brain develop that was not developed yet, causing the disorder. When I got home, I researched it more on the Internet and was amazed at how many testimonies of young toddlers with speech disorders are taking fish oil. I couldn't find many reasons or side effects of taking the oil if they didn't need it (it sounds like everyone should take this amazing stuff - even you and me), so we are going to try it out! We are on Day 3 and all I have to do is pour the liquid out of the 2 capsules onto a spoon for him to drink (it is lemon flavored). We are trying this certain brand that the speech therapists recommended that contains Omega 3,6,9 and Borage Oil. Most families see results in their speech in about 2 months. It was funny the one parent said they worked on the k and s sound for 2 years and once he took the oil, finally got it....we have been working on k and s for about 2 years too! We'll keep you posted on our results...

Comments

Nancy Mosley said…
Deanna,

Can you email me the bran. I might just have to try this. Thanks!

Nancy
I have heard that fish oil is good for toddlers. I hope it works for him.