Skip to main content

Our first ER visit

Well, we are proud to say we made it about 6 1/2 years without taking a child to the ER until yesterday. There were many high temperatures, falls, and gashes and we always waited them out and never went in. We have always said since Caleb started walking that he would be our first child to the ER. He runs 90 miles a hour looking to the side or behind and is constantly running into walls, doors, and just about anything that doesn't move. He has mastered falling off chairs and down stairs! I am surprised to say that yesterday our first ER trip was not for him, but JOSHUA. Poor guy!

We were setting up our new slip-n-slide yesterday to cool off and before we could even hook it to the hose and actually slip, Joshua tripped on it. The bad news it he fell right into the leg of our trampoline - A metal pole with 4 screws holding it to the top of the trampoline. With bad luck, he ran right into one of those screws and busted his forehead open right in the middle of his forehead above his right eye. The fall looked very painful and hard, but he hardly cried at first. When I picked him up, I held his head on my shoulder and was rubbing the back of his head. I was so surprised when I took his head away from my should to see his whole face covered in blood. The gash is only about a 1/2 inch long but it was pretty spread apart. I help a towel over it and every time I took it away, it just poured out and down into his eye. Thank the Lord, I had a young lady staying here with me from church this week who stayed very calm the whole time. She saw it and immediately said, we need to get in the car and go to the hospital. I was not calm at this point! She got the other 3 kids in the car and I helped Josh into the car with an ice pack. At this point the gash had stopped pouring blood and we were both much calmer. John met us at the ER and looked at it and said, it's not too bad. The triage nurse said "oh, it's pretty bad and a great thing you're here, he'll need stitches!" So when he left, he had 5 stitched across his forehead and about 8 stickers all over his bloody shirt, with a huge smile!! He did great and the best news is he gets them out in 5 days. We'll have to use sunscreen on it for quite awhile to avoid scaring and a noticible cut. I think he is kinda proud of going, but has said, "we don't need to go to that nice lady anymore, right?" a few times. We hope this will be our last visit for quite sometime!

Comments

Hoban Family said…
Welcome to the ER club. We have taken Giuliana twice since she was born, once at 3 months for dehydration and once at one year for 105 fever. Parenthood, gotta love it! :) Glad he's okay, poor baby.
Anonymous said…
Awwww! What a trooper! I'm glad he had a good experience at the ER at least. Sometimes I think those things are worse for the Mommies than for the kids. :) It's no fun when our babies are hurt!